Built between 1906 and 1908, the library has five bays in a Cinquecento style with upper pilasters and arched windows.
Inside look for the green Art Nouveau tiles and huge stair window with stained glass.
The former Mechanics’ Institution next to it is now part of the library.
This part is older (1878) and in a muted classical style. Excellent local studies collection upstairs.
Open : Mon/ Tues/ Thurs: 0900- 1800; Wed & Fri : 0900- 1700; Sat : 0900 – 1600